That's a Wrap

Wow, what a trip!  The expedition to Arizona has been an amazing experience.  We started as strangers united with a common goal of educating our students and promoting environmental awareness, but we left as friends.  Yesterday was our last day of the trip before we all got on flights to our respective cities.  Even though our group of teachers varied by subject and geographic location, we learned so much from each other that will transform our classrooms.   


I loved being immersed in nature and surrounded my individuals that are passionate about learning and inspiring others.  Being in Arivaca and Portal, AZ was good for the soul.  In addition to the breathtaking views, it was amazing to see how plants and animals survived in this ecosystem.  I live in D.C. so this was a big change from my typical view.  I could look at these mountains all day. 


These poppies were my favorites.  I could not believe how colorful and full of life it was in southern Arizona.



We were blessed with beautiful sunrise and sunset views every day.  I am so full of gratitude for nature, my team, and this opportunity to connect with the environment.  



One of the most surprising things on this trip was my newfound love for photographing nature.  It was fun to set up the caterpillars in this studio and work with them to get the best pose.  Here you can see the photography studio in action. 

The caterpillars had unique markings.  It was interesting to see them on their host plants and patiently work with them to take views from all sides.  Below are a few photographs I took as I was working.  

My heart is filled with gratitude, enthusiasm, and a true appreciation for the environment.  We worked hard, sweated more than I can imagine, and poured our heart into each day.  I cannot wait for the school year to start so I can challenge my students and help them develop a greater appreciation for the environment.  I look forward to exploring the caterpillar/parasitoid datasets with my students and helping them see how scientists approach research questions.  


Thank you Dr. Dyer, Dani, Earthwatch, and all of my fellow teachers!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep your friends close, but your pupae closer!

The Bear Necessities of Science